For Papiya’s family, friends, colleagues, students and admirers, she lives on. She is FOREVER. To memorialise her appropriately and hold aloft her legacy various initiatives have been taken over the years following the incomprehensible tragedy that befell her.
Some glimpses are provided here.
PURNUJJAL PAPIYA GHOSH MEMORIAL TRUST
PURNUJJAL PAPIYA GHOSH MEMORIAL TRUST (https://www.purnujjalpapiyaghoshmemorialtrust.com) was set up by Papiya’s family in 2007 to promote the enduring values of excellence and equity that Papiya so beautifully embodied.
The Trust Brochure
It has instituted the following Awards in various academic and educational centres/ organisations with which Papiya was associated, since 2008.
- Annual Inter- School Debate Competition at St. Joseph’s Convent, Patna.
- Merit-cum- Means Stipends for select, needy students of St. Joseph’s Convent, Patna,
- Annual Award for BA History Topper in Patna Women’s College.
- Annual Award for MA History Topper in History Department, Patna University.
- Annual Award for MA History Topper of Hindu College, University of Delhi.
- Annual Award for Most Promising Young Scholar presented at the Indian History Congress.
The particulars of the Awardees can be seen in the respective websites of these centres/ organisations, as they are often not intimated directly to the Trust as they should.
Further, the Trust takes up regular philanthropic work , including extending family support to indigent families, scholarships, donations to Libraries and related socio-cultural outfits.
To celebrate her truly inspirational life, a book, “Toast to Papiya”, with unique insights and wide-ranging memories with contributions from Family and friends and some of her own writings has been published in April 2008 by Dr Tuktuk Ghosh.
Celebrating Papiya : Video Vignettes
An Annual Award was instituted in Papiya’s memory by Saurav Sen, her nephew, from 2008, in the Department of International Development, Oxford University (UK) for the best M. Phil Dissertation. View the List of Awardees
Various Workshops, Seminars and Discussions on subjects related to Papiya’s field of study were organised by Dr Tuktuk Ghosh in cooperation with reputed institutions – Nehru Memorial Museum and Library, Indian Institute of Advanced Study, CSSSC, Patna University, ADRI etc
Jaya Ghosh, Papiya’s eldest sister has donated some of her academic work to the globally renowned library of US Congress, Washington DC.
A Treatment Facility, in memory of Papiya, was dedicated by her sister Keya and brother-in-law, Manas Kumar Sen, at the Indo-American Cancer Institute and Research Centre, Hyderabad (Andhra Pradesh, India).
- As a befitting tribute, the Syndicate of Patna University approved, on 3 May 2007, setting up of the ‘PAPIYA GHOSH CENTRE FOR GENDER STUDIES’ to promote research in this area of topical importance. National Research Late Prof. Vina Das of the Centre for Development of Women’s Studies, Delhi formally inaugurated it.
- A Memorial-Debate on “Judicial Activism is not the Solution to India’s Governance Problems” and an Essay Competition on “India’s Role, as the World’s largest Democracy – Future Prospects” were organised by St Joseph’s Convent, Patna, Papiya’s Alma mater in October 2007
- A 3-day Commemorative Programme was organized to honour Prof. Papiya Ghosh in Patna University, between 3rd – 5th December, 2007. It comprised a Memorial Lecture by former Professor of Delhi University, Prof. Uma Chakravarti on “New Scripts : the Nineteenth Century Educational Project for Women”.
- A Memorial Fund for Ph.d and Short Term Fellowships in Papiya’s memory was set up at the CENTRE FOR STUDIES IN SOCIAL SCIENCES, CALCUTTA (an Institution under the Govt. of India) for young women Academicians from non-metropolitan areas of the country, at the initiative of Dr Partha Chatterjee, Dr Indrani Chatterjee and few colleagues. It was supported by, among others, the Dorabji Tata Trust. Four scholars received the fellowships between 2008-2010.
- Papiya’s vast collection of Books and Journals have been donated by to the Department of History, Patna University and the East-West Centre, Patna.
Upholding her family’s Legacy : Purnujjal
Purnujjal Papiya Memorial Trust released a book in memory of Papiya’s parents, Ujjal Kumar Ghosh and Purnima Ghosh .